Thursday, April 26, 2007

Move over Jerry Lewis, there’s a new/cooler telethon in town...

Last night’s American Idol extravaganza was…how do I put this…interesting (in a good way). Before I get into the recap of the show, let’s just get it out of the way that no one went home last night. They tried this ever so clever trick to make you think someone was going home but in the spirit of niceness, they didn’t give anyone the boot. Ryan started off the night with this dramatic “you will be shocked by tonight’s results.” I’m an idiot and got totally sucked into the whole thing and was stressing about Blake going home the whole show. In the end they just announced that no one would go and next week two people would go. Alright, now that that’s out of the way, let’s try to figure out who’s Rolodex they borrowed for last night’s show.

If there was an all around randomist thing ever award, this show would take the cake. From Earth, Wind & Fire to Rob Schnieder, all the randoms were in full effect. Bare with me as I try to remember who the heck they scrapped together…Dr. Phil, Ben Stiller, Annie Lennox, Jack Black, Ellen, Bonno…alright, my brain hurts, you get the picture. The performances weren’t as good as I had expected, but understandably they had to keep it melodramatic (i.e. no Fergie singing My Humps). Earth, Wind & Fire killed it. Kelly Clarkson did really good (no comment on how she looked because I love her). Carrie Underwood’s “performance” was more like an African music video (pre-recorded). Jack Black – amazing. Ellen was pretty funny, but they didn’t show much of her. In between all the randomness, were clips of where the money was going. Some of it was tough to watch but I thought it was really well done. All in all, the whole thing gets an A. I was definitely in an American Idol trance for 2 hours. BTW…I should have had my $5 bet carry over, because they busted out “What a wonderful world.” Maybe I should get $2.50. Same six performers next Tuesday, 2 people going home…

No comments: